Competency Renewal Project
The Third Edition of the CAPHIA Competencies is under development
The CAPHIA Competencies are being renewed after an external review by the World Federation of Public Health Associations.
As the CAPHIA Competencies are leveraged to inform public health curricular across the region, the project structure has been designed to optmise input from our diverse profession. The intent behind this is to define the capabilities, knowledge, skills and application public health graduates will need to effectively contribute to the workforce and meet existing and emergent public health needs.
The Competency Renewal Project will create the following outputs:
- Third edition CAPHIA competencies: mapped to Australian Qualifications Framework, articulating Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health Competencies
- Community Consultation: a robust evaluation of the draft 3rd edition to 1) establish relationships with Public Health-related organisations, 2) enable broader input into the competencies and 3) provide a mechanism for best practice open-access resources to be curated for the CAPHIA community
- Teaching and Learning Resources: a collation of open access resources, mapped to the CAPHIA competencies to embed the new competencies in practice
- Original research: journal articles and abstract submission at world forums/congress etc. related to the process, views on emerging public health domains and areas of practice
- Communications: Updates via CAPHIA social media (Twitter, Linkedin), monthly newsletters and at CAPHIA events such as the CAPHIA Annual General Meeting and Heads of Schools Summit and the Teaching and Learning Forum.
The Competency renewal Project will aim to:
- Develop a contemporary best practice public health competency framework for Australasia
- Raise awareness of CAPHIA, academic public health and public health more broadly;
- Increase the standing of CAPHIA in the international community;
- Increase partnerships and connections within the broader public health community for the betterment of the communities we serve.
Do you want to suggest a great and learning resource, contribute to the development of a specific competency (e.g. One Health, Systems Thinking, Public Health Ethics etc,) or find out more? Email us at .
- Read more about the review here.
- Read the CAPHIA Competencies Report here
- Read about implications for curricular design here.
Regular updated about the renewal are shared in the CAPHIA Newsletter.
Second Edition (current)
The second edition of the Foundation Competencies for Public Health Graduates is now available.
The second edition of the National Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Public Health Curriculum Framework document is now available.
Foundation Competencies for Master of Public Health Graduates in Australia from the Australian Network of Academic Public Health Institutions (ANAPHI), September 2009. This document describes the baseline set of competencies expected of a graduate from a Master of Public Health (MPH) program in Australia. It is offered as a guide to academic teaching programs for MPH program curriculum development.